April 23, 2016

It's Too Hard Not to Praise the Bard Today

If you call yourself any kind of theater lover, then you know that today is the 400th anniversary of William Shakespeare's death. So, like much of the rest of the world, I'm taking time out to commemorate the occasion and there will be no regular post today.

Instead, I think I'm going to treat myself to a viewing of "Shakespeare in Love." And yes, I know that it's historical hooey but I don't think that this greatest of storytellers would mind at all. 

I don't know what plans you have for observing the day but I hope you will consider checking out "All The World's His Stage," the compendium of articles about the Bard I've been aggregating on the Flipboard site (click here to read them).

And don't despair if you somehow fail to find time to honor this still most revered of all playwrights, cause there's bound to be another worldwide celebration in 2023. For that year will mark the 400th anniversary of the initial publication of the First Folio, the collection of  plays put together by Shakespeare's then-still-grieving friends and admirers and that is largely the reason we know him today.

No comments: