October 3, 2007

In Memoriam: George Grizzard

My friend George Grizzard died yesterday. He was a sublime actor. He did movies and TV but never lost his love for the stage, particularly the Edward Albee roles for which he is best known. He was also a lovely man who told great stories and packed more affection into the world “darling” than anyone I've ever known. (Click here to read his full obituary in the New York Times). The world has too few of George’s kind and his passing makes me very sad. He was the partner for nearly 40 years of my theater-going buddy and sometime guest blogger Bill. And my heart particularly aches for him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How blessed the world was to have had him around for such a long run. We all knew him and loved him as a great actor. From what you write, he sounds like he was also a great man.

May he live on forever in the memories of those who saw him perform live, those who knew him, and those who will have the privilege of seeing him again and again on film.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.

While I regret never having had the opportunity to see Mr. Grizzard live on stage, I have enjoyed his work in television and film. I think I'm going to watch "Advise and Consent" yet again.